Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Retired Police Officer Shot - Wife Is Held For Questioning

A retired New York City police officer was seriously injured early yesterday when a woman drove up alongside the car he was driving on a Brooklyn street and shot him at least four times, the police said. Within hours, the victim's wife, herself a city police officer, was being held by the authorities in New Jersey in connection with the shooting.

The shooting took place on a bustling weekday morning about 10 a.m. near a school in East New York when, the police said, a woman driving a silver rental car pulled alongside the victim's red Mercedes-Benz, fired a few shots, then sped to the corner.

She then made a U-turn and returned and fired several more times before driving off, the police said.

No one else was injured in the shooting.

Some security guards from Junior High School 166 across the street ran to help the wounded man inside the car, which was stopped in the middle of Van Siclen Avenue near Linden Boulevard with its windows shattered.

"He was saying, 'I'm going to die, I'm going to die,' and they were saying, 'Don't say that,' " said Brandon Wigley, 12, who is in seventh grade at the school and who said he was buying a snack at a vending machine in the school when he heard the gunfire and ran outside to see what had happened.

On the street, the police recovered four shell casings from a Sig Sauer, a type of gun used by New York City police officers.

The injured officer, identified by his mother and an ex-wife as Todd B. Jamison, 43, was listed in stable condition last night at Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center in Brooklyn, the authorities and Mr. Jamison's relatives said.

The police said he had been shot at least four times in the torso.

His mother, Bernice Jamison, 65, said one bullet nearly pierced her son's heart.

"I almost lost my child," she said. "He's my youngest child and I almost lost him this morning."

Ms. Jamison said she was worried that her son might lose the use of an arm, since its bones were shattered, and she said that part of his intestines would have to be removed in a second round of surgery. Last night, she said her son was having trouble breathing.

Mr. Jamison, who lives on Staten Island, retired last year from the Police Department, where he spent much of his career working in the 70th Precinct in Brooklyn, most recently as a community affairs officer, said Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly. Mr. Jamison joined the force in 1985, the police said.

"All indications are that he did an excellent job and he was well known in the community and well known in the precinct," Mr. Kelly said.

No criminal charges had been filed in the case as of last evening, but Mr. Kelly said that detectives investigating the shooting were questioning Mr. Jamison's wife, who joined the force in 1994 and was also assigned to the 70th Precinct.

Later, the police said they had probable cause to hold the woman, identified by Mr. Jamison's mother as Alison Jamison.

Alison Jamison, 42, was stopped at a Budget Rent a Car facility at Newark International Airport sometime in the early afternoon, after the shooting, Mr. Kelly said. When she was taken into custody she was with a female friend, the police said.

The police said that Alison Jamison would be held overnight and that the authorities in New York would seek a court hearing to extradite her today.

Asked if the department had any indications of problems between Mr. Jamison and his wife, or if the police had been called to their Staten Island address for reports of domestic problems, Mr. Kelly said: "At this time, we have no record of that. We are still looking into it, but as of this juncture there is no indication of that."

Bernice Jamison said that her son and Alison Jamison met in 2003 and were married last July, her son's third marriage, but that about five weeks ago he had moved back home with her, on Essex Street, in East New York.

She said that Alison Jamison called her shortly after her son left yesterday morning to ask where he was. Mr. Jamison, who works as an athletic director at Nazareth Regional High School in Flatbush, may have been on his way to the school, she said.

"She seemed to be a very intelligent girl," Bernice Jamison said of her daughter-in-law. "I loved her and she loved me." She added, "Now, I don't know how I feel about her."

Nate Schweber contributed reporting for this article.



Post a Comment

<< Home